What it is: “When a client has super-sensitive skin, I recommend coconut oil, straight from the grocery store, as a body moisturizer,” says Joanna Vargas, a celebrity facialist in New York City. “Its fatty acids make it helpful for anyone with eczema, too.”
Additionally, research has shown that coconut oil restores dry hair. “Its 12-carbon fatty acid structure allows it to penetrate the hair cuticle and help provide flexibility and strength,” says Perry Romanowski, a cosmetic chemist in Chicago. Rub a small amount on dry ends, smooth a bit on your fingers to tame flyaways, or use it as a deep-conditioning treatment in the shower.
10 Coconut Oil Beauty & Skin Uses
- Natural Skin Moisturizer – Using coconut oil for skin health works well as a moisturizer for your face. It absorbs quickly, and is non-greasy. At room temperature, coconut is a solid, but it quickly melts when it comes into contact with hands. Before bed, wash your face, and pat dry. Warm a dollop the size of a pea in your hands and rub in a circular motion into your face. Let sit for 5 minutes, and then wipe off what is still on the surface.
- Natural Makeup Remover – Just a small dab of coconut oil will quickly liquefy eye makeup, making it easy to wipe off. Rub coconut oil gently onto the upper lids and lower lids in a circular motion. Wipe off with a warm cloth. The benefit over commercial eye makeup removers, is that coconut oil will not sting or irritate eyes, and as a bonus, will help to hydrate around the eyes.
- Lock in Moisture After Showers – After your shower, apply coconut oil liberally all over your body. Coconut oil will hydrate dry skin, and helps to soothe skin after shaving. As a bonus, coconut oil has a natural SPF and is great to protect your skin from sun damage. If you are applying to the bottom of your feet, do so outside of the tub, so as not to slip.
- Lip Balm – Dry chapped lips can happen during any season. Commercial lip balms are packed with unhealthy (and potentially toxic) ingredients, which is particularly concerning since we put them on our lips. The healing properties of coconut oil helps to nourish the lips, provides a touch of sun protection, and most importantly, is safe to consume. Combine 2 tablespoons of coconut oil with 2 tablespoons of beeswax, and 1 tablespoon of shea butter in a nonstick saucepan. Warm slowly until melted. Use a small funnel to refill used lip balm containers. Allow to set up for 6 hours.
- Naturally Tinted Lip Gloss or Lipstick – You can naturally tint the lip balm recipe above with beetroot powder, cocoa powder, turmeric, and cinnamon. You only need a small amount of spices and a little bit goes a long way.
- As a Gentle Face Wash – Coconut oil can be used in natural face wash recipe to cleanse an moisturize. Mix with lavender oil, tea tree oil and raw honey for best results.
- Wound Salve – Coconut oil has been used for thousands of years to speed healing of rashes, burns, and open wounds. You can use it just like you would neosporin. To make a homemade neosporin mix coconut oil, frankincense, lavender and melaleuca oil. The antibacterial and antifungal properties of coconut oil help to keep the area free of infection, and the lauric acid in coconut oil helps to speed healing.
- Soothing Shaving Cream – If razor burn, ingrown hairs, or other skin irritation is a problem after shaving, start using pure coconut oil as your shaving “cream”. Warm a dab in the palm of your hands and rub on your face, under arms, on the legs, or the bikini area and then shave. Rinse well, and pat dry.
- Insect repellent – Mix a tablespoon of coconut oil with a couple of drops of peppermint, rosemary, and tea tree oil to repel flies, mosquitos, gnats, and bees. This is a safe alternative to DEET and can be applied safely on all areas of the body.
- Soothing Foot Rub for Cracked Heels – Find relief for your dry, cracked heals naturally by rubbing them with coconut oil and allowing the oil to penetrate your skin. Try using 2 tablespoons of oil for both heels, and feel free to add other essential oils- like lavender oil- which can help to further reduce dryness and bacteria, plus give your feet a nice, relaxing scent.